Thursday 27 June 2013

The Function of the Orgasm

People on trains stare at you when you read a book titled 'The Function of the Orgasm' or they try to co-read the book looking over your shoulder, which I don't mind at all. The person sitting next to me on my way to uni today just leaned over and read, the woman opposite blatantly stared at me every time I looked up from my read. Hence, I felt like another blog entry on sex is apposite.

A good 60 years after the first publication of Wilhelm Reich's book in English I cannot help but wonder if the attitude towards sex, pleasure and the marvellous experience of orgasms in society has changed  all that much since Reich and his contemporaries explored this vast topic? Asking how and why we manage to perpetuate a conservative, life-fearing attitude towards sexuality from generation to generation is a crucial question worth thinking about.

Although I do not see eye to eye with Reich on what 'natural sexuality' entails I agree that suppressed, innate sexual drive is the root of many of our societal and personal problems, frustrations and neurosis. The image of sex we have created in society inhibits too many of us, myself included, from accessing a powerful energy and great source of happiness lying idle in each and everyone of us. Although I am working on tidying up my believe systems and patterns towards everything pleasurable! It is fun and I can highly recommend it.

Yet one has to be prepared to look deep and meet all sorts of animals along the path towards sexual liberation. I believe in the principal of 'as within so without, as above so below', which provides many starting points for such a journey of exploration. I refrain from judging while uncovering all aspects of my sexuality, looking towards the sky to reach the divine; delving deep into the warmth of mother earth to reconnect with nature as well as natural desires. I revisit hidden places inside seeing the 'anima' and embracing it whilst observing what manifests externally in my life as I am doing so, embracing all the learning dished up to me by life (or all that I create subconsciously that ends up in my life once I am ready to face it).

If we accept that 70% of our life takes place subconsciously is is not time to make an effort and reach that part of ours? There are plenty of ways to do so but without accessing this wealth of knowledge, power and source of peace we can find in facing the truth of ourselves, we will always remain restricted by the "behest of authoritarian, mechanised society" (Reich, reprint 1999:198).

Once again I remember the beautiful connection Pedro Pablo and his wife had with nature and how much they respected the natural rhythms of life that we in Western communities have forgotten to feel. Paraphrasing Hellinger we would be well advised to follow the wisdom of our flesh as the mind is so very limited in its departmentalised view of our complex and interconnected world. Once we begin to sense, feel and see (not with our eyes but we our heart) our world in tune with what is, we stand a much better chance of actually having a good time here on this plain.

I honour the opportunities of feeling both the dark and the light in our way of living, yet I crave the emerging feminine energies resembling the new, emerging vibration on earth, so we can free ourselves from the patriarchal chains of the systems we have put in place. The suffering through suppressed emotions, sex and creativity needs to come to an end. If we arrogant, neurotic and anxious grouches (said with a whole lot of love of course and a smile on my face) could be bothered to look towards native tribes we could find living examples of healthier communities, sustainable living and honest, deep, raw sexual connections.

No wonder every so often I feel the urge of escaping this madness we have turned our lives into to a haven of peace, laying it all bare and savouring the sensation of oneness. Being in the haven of the heart is truly a wonderful physical, mental, spiritual and emotional place, worth encountering your daemons for and tidying up your metaphorical closet!

Your Urban Yogi,
engrossed in my current read



No comments:

Post a Comment