Wednesday 1 January 2014

Are Navel Gazers bad people?

One statement a friend put on fb, as she was reflecting on her life at the end of 2013, stuck with me as the dawn of 2014 broke: Enough navel gazing!

With the briefest thought of "is this directed at people like me?" flashing through my mind I asked myself am I a Navel Gazer? By definition, navel-gazing is "complacent concentration on oneself or a single issue at the expense of a wider view." With relief I came to the conclusion that no, I am not a Navel Gazer, but only just. I feel my self-indulgence of writing about a journey, MY journey, towards finding balance in life has come with a critical take on my and other people's actions and has by no means come at the expense of a wider view of things - at times because others have thrown these "wider" views at me!

Nonetheless, I must say these blog entries have evolved around my navel, my universe, me. So I looked at a second definition of the term in question and it states... "Excessive introspection, self-absorption, or concentration on a single issue". No, I don't scrape past that definiton with a blog dedicated to one single quest - living in the heart (e.g. in balance with oneself and thus the world). At this point I have got to ask not only myself, as that would be navel-gazingly inappropriate but everybody, if "Navel-Gazers" are bad people?

Many people fight to protect their  navel, their world and what it entails, mainly out of fear, to not be confronted with what is out of line in their lives. Walking through life blinkered like a horse, to stay on a track that has been decided once upon a time and has since been ignorantly followed, is what I associate with navel-gazing.

Seldom is navel-gazing applied for liberation, as I want to argue I do. Throughout 2013 I have met people who fought to break free from hindering structures (be it physicalor mental ones) to live their facon of life, or at least to come closer to living it. Certainly my friend would have to agree that a degree of adoration for one's navel is surely appropriate and must not be put on par with the insular depiction of navel-gazing she has - quite rightly - criticised in her post.

For this very reason I conclude that
a) not all Navel Gazers are bad people,
b) navel-adoartion is indeed okay and
c) I shall continue on to indulge in sharing my thoughts with the aspiration of liberation.

An openly navel-adoring Urban Yogi

Vive le nombrilisme!

...& a B.A.L.A.N.C.E.D 2014 to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment