Saturday 16 February 2013

The girl who died on the playground

The girl who died on the playground was the result of a tragic accident on the school playground. She did nothing particularly dangerous other than playing amongst children. Then she got knocked over onto a wooden railing that no health & safety officer could have faulted for being lethal or ominous. It was under such ordinary, non threatening circumstances that a little girl fell in an unfortunate way so that she injured herself in a way that was irreparable.

The girl who died on the playground moved me when I saw her a week earlier doing Flamenco dancing during Spanish week. She appeared old for her age, controlled and completely engrossed in what she was doing. I dare to say she was the best out of the bunch of 4 girls dancing, the others glancing at her for rhythm and choreography. In her purple and red dress she exhibited so much potential, joy and liveliness that she brought a smile to my face.

The girl who died on the playground did not really die on the playground though - she died in operating theatre as I found out that very morning I got to school unassumingly. 'Something bad happened' the year teacher of the class I am in told me, instructing me to close the door as I entred the class. I was in shock. Such things do not happen in real life, do they? Luckily I do not have to deal with death all to frequently, so when I heard such devastating news I could not believe what I was told. A little life, that had been only a week earlier so pulsing and promising had been wiped out while playing in this very playground I was looking at.

The girl who died on the playground made me ask the question 'Why?'. I believe souls decide when to go, when their reason for being on this earth is fulfilled. It is hard to see how such a young girl had chosen such a short road, when she was brimming with potential, joy and liveliness. All staff were deeply sad and in disbelief about this loss of a young life. Despite knowing we continue on in another form, another plain, she touched me with her early departure, made me feel the worth of life again in the sadness I felt for her leaving.

The girl who died on the playground will stay in my memory for she has helped me to wake up to life again and honour it as something precious we only have for a short time. Her death should not to be completely in vain, thus I made a promise to myself to hold this realisation she gifted me close to my heart. For the first time in a very long time I am utterly connected to life - sadly in the shadow of the girl who died on the playground.

Rest in peace young, lovely soul!

Your Urban Yogi

 

1 comment:

  1. This is so touching Sarah. I was reading something recently, which is irrelevant to this, but it also made me think... what important things can grown from such sad events. That is the depths of sadness something so remarkable can be born.

    ReplyDelete